Tuesday 1 May 2012

A couple of articles I read this week

I read a couple of interesting articles on Indian vegetarian food this week.  Very different, though!

The first was an utterly charming restaurant review from the Telegraph on their restaurant critic's visit to the vegetarian restaurant in Neasden Temple.  So nice to see the food of my childhood/family described so well.  I thoroughly recommend to anyone who likes Indian food or vegetarian food a trip up to the many delightful Gujarati restaurants in North London. 

The second was an article about "food fascism" in India and the covert way that people eat beef.  I'm not quite sure what to make of it.  On the one hand, I am firmly in favour of secularism and I don't approve of imposing your religious beliefs on other people.  But I do agree with a couple of comments that make the point that, somehow, Hindu beliefs about beef and meat in general just don't get taken as seriously as Muslim or Jewish food beliefs.  The tone of things "holy cow" in inverted commas and saying things like "vegetarianism in India is a load of bull" is just not like the sort of tone that gets taken when Jews talk about keeping kosher or Muslims talk about halal.

No comments:

Post a Comment